Maurice Lee, Center Point DAAC Supervisor
Susan Hertel, Regional Director
REAP/Methadone, Outpatient Program (adult & youth), Youth (school-based) and Family
Services, HIV/Hepatitis C Health Services, Perinatal, Drug Court and SHARP Syringe Exchange
HOPE HEALTH HEALING
It is BIOGENETIC
It is a PRIMARY Illness
- You don't choose to acquire it.
- A family history of drug/alcohol problems puts you at greater risk.
It is a CHRONIC Illness
- If you have chemical dependency, it's not a symptom of some other problem.
- If you have chemical dependency and other problems, your chemical dependency will interfere with treatment for other problems unless the chemical dependency is also treated.
It is a PROGRESSIVE Illness
- It won't go away because you ignore it, don't like it or don't want to believe you have it.
- It's not "just a phase".
If left Untreated, Addiction can be FATAL
- Without treatment it will eventually get worse.
- It usually gets worse more quickly for women and young people.
- Drinking and driving
- Overdose/alcohol poisoning
- Organ Failure